In addition to the debut of that “new” Michael Jackson song, last night’s inaugural iHeartRadio Music Awards featured performances by Pitbull, Blake Shelton, Thirty Seconds To Mars, Shakira … wait, don’t close your tab yet: there were also appearances by Kendrick Lamar and Arcade Fire. The whole idea of another televised music awards show — with dubious categories like Best Lyrics (that award went to Miley Cyrus, who didn’t even write “Wrecking Ball,” and whose dad accepted the award because she wasn’t there) and Best Fan Army (winner: Rihanna Navy) — is absurd. But it’s Clear Channel, so at least some stars were convinced it would be good for their careers to show up. The whole event was also positioned as a tribute to Los Angeles for some reason.
10:44 am • 2 May 2014 • 7 notes
“I was like, ‘You won. Why are you posting your text message? Just chill. Take your W, and if you feel you didn’t deserve it, go get better — make better music.’ It felt cheap. It didn’t feel genuine. Why do that? Why feel guilt? You think those guys would pay homage to you if they won?… This is how the world works: He made a brand of music that appealed to more people than me, Hov, Kanye and Kendrick. Whether people wanna say it’s racial, or whether it’s just the fact that he tapped into something we can’t tap into. That’s just how the cards fall. Own your shit.”
2:09 pm • 12 February 2014 • 233 notes
Grammys 2014: Comment Party & Drinking Game
Drink every time…
- You hear the nominees for a category and for a moment think you have been transported back to the ’70s.
- Lorde is shown doing her Lorde dance while another artist performs.
- You think, “Wait, is there a host?” And then, “Oh, right. It’s LL Cool J.”
- Taylor Swift says something that could be construed as being about one of her ex-boyfriends.
- (And take another drink if the camera cuts to a shot of a young man in the audience.)
- Someone makes a Justin Bieber joke.
- You see Beyoncé. (You may limit your drinking during Beyonce’s performance to one .)
- There is a notable Kanye West reaction shot.
- Bruno Mars is shown wearing a hat.
- Katy Perry looks uncomfortable with all of the Sara Bareilles nods.
- Taylor Swift makes her classic “surprised” face.
- You want to give Drake a hug.
- You wonder if you should know who Hunter Hayes is, and also is he old enough to be up so late?
Finish your drink if…
- One of Daft Punk’s helmets falls off.
- Another “Who is Bonnie Bear?“-style of Twitter confusion erupts.
Take your drink and go to Heaven if…
6:28 pm • 26 January 2014 • 235 notes
The Year In Molly
In 2013 it sometimes felt like the whole music industry had gone off that Molly, often accompanied by the attendant Dalí-like meltdowns. Here’s a look back at Molly’s big, sweaty year…
9:11 am • 18 December 2013 • 18 notes
“First of all Lorde’s album is genius from front to back. Bookend to bookend. Lorde is a phenomenal, phenomenal artist. Kendrick Lamar’s album was genius. And I was lucky enough to be a part of it, but his album — aside from my song — is genius in itself. Lyrically, to me, he’s just one of the best. And I think his music picking, the beats that he picks, the choice of songs … he’s got a really great ear. I love what Drake did this time around. I think Drake is masterful with his work. I think Tyler, The Creator is in a really good place right now. I think Taylor Swift has mastered her audience and what it is that she loves to do. You can say whatever you want, but they’re great lyrics, and she knows what her audience wants and she knows that good feeling. There’s another girl, Banks, who’s crazy. So good…”
— Pharrell Williams talks Daft Punk, Miley Cyrus, and his favorite 2013 songs he DIDN’T work on…
4:17 pm • 16 December 2013 • 129 notes