Indie Rock's R&B Movement Reaches Its Saturation Point
A few years back, a critical mass of musicians started making R&B steeped in the sort of art-damaged signifiers indie rock has traditionally claimed as its own.
2:11 pm • 30 April 2014 • 28 notes
”[Rolling Stone] took my cover from me last minute and ran the issue. I’m disgusted with that. RIP to Phillip Seymour Hoffman. All respect due. But the press is evil. I’m done doing interviews for magazines. I just want to give my music to the people. That’s the only way my message gets across accurately.”
11:46 am • 13 February 2014 • 50 notes
“I was like, ‘You won. Why are you posting your text message? Just chill. Take your W, and if you feel you didn’t deserve it, go get better — make better music.’ It felt cheap. It didn’t feel genuine. Why do that? Why feel guilt? You think those guys would pay homage to you if they won?… This is how the world works: He made a brand of music that appealed to more people than me, Hov, Kanye and Kendrick. Whether people wanna say it’s racial, or whether it’s just the fact that he tapped into something we can’t tap into. That’s just how the cards fall. Own your shit.”
2:09 pm • 12 February 2014 • 233 notes
Grammys 2014: Comment Party & Drinking Game
Drink every time…
- You hear the nominees for a category and for a moment think you have been transported back to the ’70s.
- Lorde is shown doing her Lorde dance while another artist performs.
- You think, “Wait, is there a host?” And then, “Oh, right. It’s LL Cool J.”
- Taylor Swift says something that could be construed as being about one of her ex-boyfriends.
- (And take another drink if the camera cuts to a shot of a young man in the audience.)
- Someone makes a Justin Bieber joke.
- You see Beyoncé. (You may limit your drinking during Beyonce’s performance to one .)
- There is a notable Kanye West reaction shot.
- Bruno Mars is shown wearing a hat.
- Katy Perry looks uncomfortable with all of the Sara Bareilles nods.
- Taylor Swift makes her classic “surprised” face.
- You want to give Drake a hug.
- You wonder if you should know who Hunter Hayes is, and also is he old enough to be up so late?
Finish your drink if…
- One of Daft Punk’s helmets falls off.
- Another “Who is Bonnie Bear?“-style of Twitter confusion erupts.
Take your drink and go to Heaven if…
6:28 pm • 26 January 2014 • 237 notes